Does giving up a baby for adoption erase all the extra personal expenses shelled out over the course of a pregnancy? Does it magically restore any pay or chance at advancement that you might have lost? Does the act of adoption fully return your body to its pre-pregnancy, uninjured state, such that you don’t need time off work to recover afterward? Does it decrease the cost of taking care of pregnancy-induced diabetes or other pregnancy-related conditions that don’t heal up right away? I don’t think so.
A co-worker closed the door to the staff room behind him.
It locked automatically
and I started planning what I could use as a weapon:
smash the glass beside the fridge into his eye.
pick up the fork next to me and sink it into his leg.
claw him across the face if I couldn’t get to anything in time.
As I calculated how hard it would be to shove his body weight off of me,
he finished making his lunch, said, “Sup,” and left,
the door automatically locking behind him.
I expect if I told him I was prepared to stab him with the corner of my staff ID if I had to,
he would say what I’ve heard too often, the one we all know
but are getting wearily suspicious of:
Not all men are like That.
When I was eleven, all the girls in my class got sent to self-defence
because they assumed we’d need it one day.
When I was twelve, there was a prostitute’s body dumped in the river next to my house
because someone thought she was disposable.
When I was thirteen, it happened again and this time the man went to jail
and people stood outside the courtroom and held up signs that he did the right thing.
When I was fourteen, my friend showed up to a sleepover late, chest heaving from sobbing
and from running four blocks after getting chased by a man that followed her off the bus.
When I was fifteen, my mother accused me of being a Man Hater
and I said, “No, but god, would you blame me if I was?”
I got catcalled and then got laughed at when I flipped them off.
they pulled up beside me and I clutched my bag tighter,
my hand going in for my keys and my mind going over how their noses would look
if I smashed them in with my elbow.
“What’s the big deal,” the guy at the steering wheel asked. “We’re just complimenting you. We’re not like That.”
Sorry, but I’m not going to trust you in case I end up on a poster labelled ‘MISSING.’
Even if you seem like the nicest guy, I’ll still have one hand holding my keys
as the only knife I’m allowed, because I don’t know how far you’re going to take it:
if you won’t back off when I tell you I don’t want to date you
if you’ll shout BITCH at me when I don’t respond well to your catcall
if you’ll expect my body as a reward for treating me like a human being
if you’ll try to take what you think you’re owed by being a man
if you’ll turn me into another statistic that people shudder away from.
I have been trained to assume that it’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing
or face the consequences.
I don’t know if you’ll nod when I reject you
or pump me full of bullets.
Every single woman I’ve talked to has a story where they haven’t felt safe in their own body
because of what a man said or did.
Not all men are like That, but god, it’s enough.
Anonymous said: No anger, but why are bronies trash?
well let’s see
- appropriated a TV show aimed at little girls and made it solely about themselves (and will, as the post I reblogged indicates, pitch a shit when you bring up this fact)
- took characters from a show created and written by a feminist about feminist ideals and reduced them to nothing but over-sexualized waifu material and a mouthpiece for their misogynistic bullshit agenda (see Princess Molestia)
- draw copious amounts of pornography of said characters, post them where they’re easily accessed by minors and then pitch a shit when other people tell them that they need to tag it or post it to appropriate websites
- complacent (eager, even) to send death and rape threats to a teenage girl for trying (and succeeding) to get Princess Molestia taken down
- sexually harassing minors, sexually harassing VAs at brony conventions
- go into Absolute Batshit Racist Mode when any humanized ponies are depicted as ANYTHING other than white
- fandom is fraught with homophobia/transphobia/transfetishism (Futashy)
- I’m sure there’s a lot more but I honestly try to keep approximately 800000000000000 parsecs away from this putrid group of people, after—especially after—receiving several hateful comments simply because I stated (in passing) I didn’t like the show
- and no, I really super do not care if “not all bronies are like that”; if you want to use willful ignorance as an excuse to associate yourself with a toxic fandom then that’s your business. don’t bring it to me
How about just fucking stop. Ugh, luckily I’m to tied to even tedious to this properly but I really hate generalized bullshit like this
lmfao these aren’t even generalizations these are things that have actually happened
so no I’m not going to “just fucking stop” because you don’t want to feel guilty about how unbelievably shitty a lot of your fandom is